Traveling on an international flight has pros and cons. For example, one major plus is the availability of in-flight movies, such as Frozen, The Book Thief, all three Lord of the Rings movies, and many more. Once the movie is over and the lights in the plane go out, however, sleeping in the stiff seat is quite difficult even with the provided pillow and blanket. But even this discomfort could not compare to the joy and sense of wonder I felt when I looked out the window of the plane to see a sprawling countryside below me, with lakes, trees, rolling hills, and scattered houses. I had arrived in the United Kingdom.
Our first day was a whirlwind tour of the dormitory we are currently in and the area around it. Necessary provisions for dorm room life had to be procured, and jet lag had to be avoided at all costs. Once prepared for our stay in London, we began to tour the city. Our wonderful tour guide showed us the highlights of the city, so that we could get our bearings and return later. One of these sites was the original spot of the Globe Theatre. The existing theatre, although built to look exactly like the old one, is a replica that stands a small distance away from its former location.
Besides the Globe, we also passed by Buckingham Palace and St. James's Park, and had the opportunity to see the guards keeping watch outside of Prince Charles's apartment. These sternfaced guards marched back and forth in perfect unison, never once breaking step or changing a facial expression.
As I start class tomorrow, I intend to use this blog to tie together my readings and the places I visit. From now on, I should be posting almost daily. Next stop: the British Museum!
No comments:
Post a Comment