Saturday, June 28, 2014

Now that I've safely returned home from London, I can reflect on the journey as a whole. I really enjoyed my time in the city, and I don't regret any of the experiences I had as a result of the trip. Our hours were flexible and we had the freedom to explore the city at our leisure, finding our own way to classes and group events. At the beginning, this idea was somewhat daunting, but by the end of these past three weeks, I was riding on the Tube like a professional. It was second nature to descend down the escalator after tapping my Oyster card to enter, and I barely had to glance at the Underground map to decide which way to go. The biggest hurdle to jump through was allotting enough time for the morning's journey: especially at rush hour, the trains could be packed full of people (this often resulted in some interesting sights...and smells).


Our classes were laid-back, yet still incredibly interesting. In History, we took notes on lectures discussing the Tudor and Stuart lines of kings and queens, from Henry VIII to the civil war and Oliver Cromwell.  In English, we read works from writers that were buried or memorialized in the Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey, with the addition of a short story by J.R.R. Tolkien for our trip to Oxford. We discussed these works in class, and I've also mentioned several in my posts here. It's been an interesting summer quarter, but not a stressful one. I've loved sitting and doing my readings by the window while listening to the sounds of the city, broken every thirty minutes or so by the shrill sirens of a passing ambulance.


I also gained a social education from my time in the city. The people of England both dress and act differently than Americans. I felt as though I had been transported to the 90s and early 2000s: crop tops and high-waisted shorts were everywhere! Everyone mostly had polite attitudes, but if met with rudeness they would reciprocate in kind. They were more than happy to give directions, and have guided me in the right direction when I didn't even know I was going the wrong way. Their enthusiasm for their cultural icons is infectious, and their love for Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling is plain. Queuing, or standing in a line, is normal and expected, and everyone waits patiently without complaint. I had to adjust at first, especially to some of the new words. Now, I'm back in the land where bins are trash cans, rubbish is trash, crisps are chips, and chips are fries. I'll miss the efficiency of the public transportation, the beautiful sights and sounds of the city, and the general politeness of the people that surround me. At the same time, I'm glad to be home with my friends and family.

Next post: Final thoughts on my journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment